A blog about my career as a parent.

Friday, January 18, 2008

My Recent Experience With the USPS or Why Anyone Who Wants Government Run Health Care Must Be INSANE!

I recently ordered a CD from a woman in Utah. A couple of days after placing the order she e-mailed the United States Postal Service tracking information. Every evening for three days I went to the USPS website to track the order, and each evening it had the same message. The message said that they had been notified that the package was ready to be shipped, but this did not mean that they had necessarily received the package. Please check back each evening to see if the status had changed. On Saturday morning I once again checked the tracking status only to find the same exact message. I decided to wait and check the tracking status one more time on Saturday evening before sending an e-mail message to the woman asking: Where the Hell is my $100 order and why haven't you sent it yet? Could you please explain why my order hasn't shipped yet even though you sent us the tracking number on Wednesday?

Imagine my surprise when on Saturday afternoon I checked the tracking status only to see a new message. This one didn't say anything like: Your package has been shipped and is currently in Timbuktu. Nooooo, this message said: A delivery attempt was made at 11:51 A. M. Your package will be available for pickup on Monday, January 14th after 8:30 A. M. I sat at the computer for several minutes reading and re-reading this message. A delivery attempt was made? At 11:51 A. M.? I was here at 11:51 A. M. G. was in the driveway working on my car at 11:51 A. M. The whole family was here at 11:51 A. M. No one drove down the driveway, no one rang the doorbell, no one knocked on the front door. What do you mean a delivery attempt was made at 11:51 A. M.?! What do you mean it will be available for pickup?! Didn't I pay shipping in order to have it delivered?!!!

So on Monday afternoon after taking S. D. and Little G. to the pediatrician (S. D. has her 7th ear infection since August and Little G. has a very nasty cold which I'm certain will turn into an ear infection soon), I dragged the two little ones with me to the local USPS. Of course there was a line rivaling those usually seen at Christmastime. Apparently everyone in our town had a lazy U. S. Postal Carrier who thought they'd just put a delivery slip in the mailbox rather than actually doing their job and delivering the package to the door. After waiting in line for what seemed like forever with a thankfully, sleeping 9 month old, a very sick 4 year old, and a lady in line next to us with a two year old who had made a stinky load in his diaper (there was no way this lady was losing her place in line and waiting all over again with her young son and who could really blame her), finally it was my turn.

I walked up to the Asian woman behind the counter, presented my slip, and said, "I'd like to pick up this package, and I'd like to find out how to file a complaint. I know that no delivery attempt was made on this package."

She eyed me suspiciously and then hostilely said in her best pidgin, "How you know no delivery attempt made?"

I looked her squarely in the eye, making certain to project my voice, and said, "I know for a fact that no delivery attempt was made because your tracking system says that a delivery attempt was made on Saturday, January 12 at 11:51 A. M. On Saturday morning my entire family was home. Not only that, but at the time the supposed delivery attempt was made, my husband was in our driveway working on my car. No postal carrier drove or walked down our driveway; therefore I know that the mail carrier just stuck this slip in our mailbox and kept on going. Now, how do I file a complaint?"

She then glared at me with eyes of death and said, "You need call package delivery supervisor. I write name and number on piece of paper after I get package." She then disappeared for several minutes and eventually came out with my package. I stood waiting until she "remembered" and gave me the name and number I needed.

The next day I called the number. This person told me he wasn't the person I needed to complain to so he gave me another name and number. I called that person; she told me I needed to speak with someone else and proceeded to give the name and number. I called the next lady, and guess what! She gave me the name and number of the first person I called.

Now think about all the lovely experiences you've had with government agencies. Consider all your dealings with the USPS, the DMV, the IRS, etc. Do you really think it's a good idea to put our health care in the hands of government workers? I can guarantee that if we have to go to a government agency for our health care needs, we'll all suffer from high blood pressure.

No comments: