A blog about my career as a parent.

Monday, November 26, 2007

28 More Shopping Days Until Christmas and 2/3 of the Kids Are Sick

I'm definitely doing most of my Christmas shopping via the Internet this year. S. D. and Little G. are both on antibiotics for ear infections, and now they are both coming down with colds on top of the ear thing. Another reason for not going out in public to shop is that the baby has now developed a new and interesting skill; he's able to throw up his sinus drainage all down my back without getting a speck on him. I'm on my fourth shirt today. Since I can't constantly change clothes while I'm out, I'm just staying home and ordering in so to speak. I am choosing to look on the bright side of this new skill; since he gets it all over me and not him, I don't have to dry his tender, young skin out with multiple baths per day. ;-)

As I've been watching the t.v. coverage of all the Christmas shoppers out there trying to get the best deal, I've become thoroughly disgusted. Don't get me wrong, I'm not becoming the Grinch; I think it's quite the opposite. I think as we rush around trying to buy something for everyone, we lose sight of what it is we're celebrating. I'm looking forward to spending time with my extended family on both sides, searching for the perfect tree, decorating the house with the husband and kids, playing my Trans Siberian Orchestra cd's until the kids beg me to play something else (Mommy loves Christmas music that ROCKS), and staying up late on Christmas Eve trying to get everything done at the last minute. However, I'm not looking forward to nasty, rude people pushing and shoving trying to get the last electronic gizmo that's all the rage this year.

I think we'll simplify the gift giving in the immediate family this year, trying to put careful thought into the presents for Dad and the kids. If I were a talented, creative, craft oriented person, I'd make extra special gifts from the heart for the rest of my family and friends. Since I'm none of those things, I hope that as you open your gift card or Harry and David gift basket, that you realize the good intention was there. ;-)

Merry Christmas!

No comments: