A blog about my career as a parent.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Halloween Costume Dilemna

Halloween is less than a week away, and here I am searching the Family Fun website to come up with ideas for simple, homemade costumes for my 12 and 4 year old daughters. Nothing like waiting until the last minute. :)

The 12 year old wants her costume to be cool, which probably means creepy. Thankfully the 4 year old doesn't get scared by creepy things, and creepy is easy - a little face paint, black garb, teased hair, you're good to go. But the 4 year old, she's hard.

I pulled out the skunk costume my 12 year old wore when she was 4, but of course S.D. says, "No way!" So much for frugality. Even telling her that Grandmother helped to make it, (meaning did all the sewing part because I would have sewn my sleeve to the thing) didn't work. S.D. wants to be a Super Spy. The trick is trying to figure out how to make a Super Spy costume for a little girl that's recognizable. Trying to explain what the costume is as you go out trick-or-treating is really not much fun - been there, done that. Maybe I'll just print up a costume explanation on a business card and hand it out as we get questions and quizzical looks.

Maybe I'll just convince them both to be ghosts or vampires. Wish me luck.

No comments: